Re: gEDA-user: PCB printing under Windows?

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:25 AM, John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bob Paddock wrote:
>
>> Standard PCB print makes the assumption that 'lpr' is available, which
>> is not the case
>> on Windows.
>>
>> Anyone already been down this road before I dig into trying to find a solution?
>
> I haven't done that exactly, but how about printing to .ps, converting to pdf, the windows printing from acrobat reader?

Not sure that you can use the "Printer Calibration" settings that way?
 I'm trying
to get a real 1:1 size.

> What kind of running on windows are you doing?  Is there a windows compile of pcb now?

Yes.  The 20081128 snapshot at http://pcb.sf.net/ .

Issues I've run into with the Windows version:

Printer.  Needs lpr equivalent.

You can't set any library paths, because the LoadLibrary.sh script at start
up doesn't run.

Any preferences you set are lost at close.   Have not taken time to
figure out why yet.

There is also the usual Windows insanity of always wanting to
open files in My Documents, a place where I never want to open
anything.  You can windows 'Junctions',

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

to create links to the real project location, so that you are only
one click away, instead of dozens.  'Junctions' are Microsoft's
attempt at symbolic links.  They work fine, as long as you don't
do something recursive.