gEDA-user: Question about footprints in pcb

   I'm a little unclear about the mask dotted line of the pad command.
   In the How to Create Footprints document it says this value is the
   width of the solder mask relief.  Is this value the distance from the
   pad location line to the center  of the clearance measurement?  If I
   double the mask how does it affect the diagram in the document?  I'm
   also wondering why the distance from the pad to other conductors on
   any plane (the clearance) is the clearance value divided by two and
   not just the clearance value.
   Finally, if I'm laying out these boards to be made at home what are
   good values for clearance and mask?
   Thanks