gEDA-user: Hurray for gEDA!

Last night I delivered the schematic design and netlist for a data
acquisition board for the TESS space mission. 1200 components, but
the design is only seven schematics and three connector pin list
files. This is possible through hierarchy and my pins2gsch script
(http://archives.seul.org/geda/dev/Nov-2008/msg00069.html).

On Wednesday, the layout guy at MIT told me that it was coming out
smaller than expected, based on fragments I'd sent him, and that we
had the space to use 0603 components rather than 0402. By changing
just two symbol files, I changed 750 footprints to 0603. The power of
the project symbol approach should be evident.

Three pin list files actually generate all of the information for six
connectors: four of the connectors represent identical interfaces,
and a simple AWK script expands a table representing that interface
into pin lists for four connectors. I represent the connectors in the
viewable schematics as pinless boxes at the ends of busses. Those
symbols supply attributes like footprint. It is important that
gnetlist see these before the pseudo-schematic generated by pins2gsch.

gnetlist generates pages and pages of messages like:

WARNING: Trying to rename something twice:
         X4/GND and X4/GND
are both a src and dest name
This warning is okay if you have multiple levels of hierarchy!

So it's okay, I guess.

drc2 was difficult: first I was getting stack overflow, and
implemented the usual gnetlistrc fix. After that, lots of spurious
warnings, with a few gems buried in there. It doesn't like the
separate power symbol trick, reporting "Duplicated reference", and
there are a lot of those here. It also does this for the invisible
symbols generated by pins2gsch. It assumes hidden pins are power
pins, so it complains of pintype mismatches for the pins2gsch pins,
too. And finally, in the check for unconnected pins, it bombs with:

ERROR: In procedure length:
ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1: #f

Still, drc2 was very useful, better than I expected from previous
projects.

All in all, this is really amazing leverage. I'm doing aerospace
preliminary design level work on the shoestring budget and tight
schedule of a feasibility study. I've done this kind of design with
Viewlogic for previous missions, but it took a lot more time and
effort. The rough edges reported above largely come from "pushing the
envelope" of design flow, but the wonder is that while gEDA
complains, it gets the job done here. This kind of robustness is rare
in software.

gEDA is just a phenomenal tool.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx