Re: gEDA-user: Problem with home made PCB

Rob Butts wrote:
We used a scrub sponge with dishwashing
>    soap for the copper.

I recommend abrasive cleaner -- I use bar keeper's friend since it has acid in it too.

Just prior to that the board was cleaned with
>    acitone.

I only bother with strong solvent if I am cleaning off a bad transfer.  The abrasive cleaner, (fine abrasive), is enough.

The board is a two sided board so we drilled two pin holes
>    to locate both sides of the layout.

We then used an iron for about 15
>    sec on each side to get the TTS paper to stick prior to sending the
>    copper and TTS paper through the laminator.

The laminator needs to have enough heat going through.  To avoid slipping TTS paper you can fold the leading edge over the copper
clad, but if the lead laminator roller is about 1.2 inches dia.  it just goes in and doesn't slip.
The hand iron is hard to gauge.

If I am using thick copper clad, my laminator sometimes needs more than one pass.

Too much heat gives smushed/smeared toner.  too little gives partial adhering like you saw.

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX