Re: gEDA-user: geda in Lenny (was Re: Creating system-gafrc again)

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 23:40 +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit confused about what's needed/expected here.
>
> For the lenny release we can only expect to fix RC bugs at this time.
> This means the copyright/licensing fix, and possibly taking the most
> critical stuff from 1.4.3 and incorporating it.
>
> I can't ask for all of 1.4.3 to be included because we're in freeze and
> have been since before 1.4.3's release.

1.4.3 only consists of important bug fixes since 1.4.0.. we've been
_very_ careful to keep to that so conservative distributions like Debian
and Ubuntu would consider it for updates.

> In order to get any fixes into our 1.4.0 packages we need bug reports
> against the relevant packages. I don't have any information about what's
> fixed else I would open relevant bug reports myself.

Arguably there are a few commits which are more trivial than others.
(Ie. supporting windows file-ends properly)

http://geda.seul.org/release/v1.4/1.4.1/gaf-1.4.1-relnotes.html
http://geda.seul.org/release/v1.4/1.4.2/gaf-1.4.2-relnotes.html
http://geda.seul.org/release/v1.4/1.4.3/gaf-1.4.3-relnotes.html

Note that this one:

"gattrib: Don't special-case ignore components with "graphical"
attribute." is part of avoiding a crash which looses peoples work.

If Debian really won't accept 1.4.3, we could export you a series of the
most critical fixes, (you'd end up with one or two patches dropped from
the 1.4.3 series), but really, I think if you were going to do that,
you'd be _much_ better off releasing 1.4.3, since that is a known stable
point - which other people and distros are using.

If it weren't for the fact that other distros picked 1.4.3 up very
quickly, I'd be very cross at the effort we've put into backporting
fixes for 1.4.x (done for the benefit of stable distributions), when we
could have been putting the effort into 1.6.0.

> I will upload fixes for the licensing bug tonight.

Ok, cool.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,