Re: gEDA-user: git compilation problem: undefined reference to `gtk_selection_data_get_data'

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:24:44PM +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2009 11:50:15 Sascha Silbe wrote:
>
> > x_clipboard.o: In function `x_clipboard_get':
> > /home/sascha.silbe/src/geda/gaf/gschem/src/x_clipboard.c:199: undefined
> > reference to `gtk_selection_data_get_data'
> >
> > I cannot find that symbol in any library (in /usr/lib). Does gEDA now
> > require GTK > 2.8.20 (that's the version on my Debian etch system)?
> > The strange thing is that it fails at link time, not compilation time
> > (yes, I've done "make distclean" to ensure everything is compiled from
> > scratch).
>
> Yes, this is a 2.14.x function. I'll try and work out what the pre-2.14
> version is.

I was about to report the same problem. Up to 2.12, the only way to get
at it is to directly dereference the data member of the GtkDataSelection
structure.

This is the kind of pure overhead that I dislike in gtk and would not
happen in other languages, but I hate C++ even more (I wrote one program
with gtkmm, but am not going to repeat the experience).

BTW: what is the proper way to only recompile part of gEDA when chasing
this kind of bug. For now I have only found `make install´ which recompiles
everything even when it has not changed.

	Gabriel