Re: gEDA-user: Guerilla marketing...

This is a chicken and egg problem.

With revenue in the billions the major eda tool companies have far more
resources to keep developing capabilities.

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 10:23 -0700, John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:40 PM, Steve Meier wrote:
>
> > Let us be clear on this concept. The EDA market place is in the 4 to 5
> > billion dollar range per year.
> >
> > http://www.eetimes.com/news/design/business/showArticle.jhtml?
> > articleID=175701340
> >
> > You can do all the gorilla marketing that you want to end users who
> > are
> > tied to the dominant tool sets, but it won't do you any good.
>
> When Jobs and Wozniak were tinkering in that garage, the dominant
> computer hardware was System/370. They were wise not to try to
> compete with that.

jobs and woz used a disruptive technology (the integrated circuit) to
compete with the bigger hardware.

> > If you
> > want to get these users to move to another tool set there has to be a
> > migration path and an interoperability path.
>
> gEDA's interoperability at the netlist level is better than any other
> thing I've seen. Nobody has solved graphical interoperability here,
> and gEDA won't either.

geda and pcb lag far behind in interoperability with other layout
programs and with vendor support for capabilities such as programming
their flying probe testers.

> > The issue isn't, is geda or kicad technologically competitive
> > tools, the
> > issue is can users move designs back and forth from the established
> > eda
> > tools and the free tools?
> >
> > If you answer yes then you reduce the risk of the users if you
> > answer no
> > then the safe action of the users is to stick with the tools that they
> > know.
> >

> I think it's silly to think gEDA can go after the users who are
> locked in to the big tools. gEDA's natural users are those who are
> locked out by the high prices. Students, startups, part timers, ...
>
> If we give people a tool that gives them the leverage to do big jobs
> with small resources, the ones with small resources will adopt it,
> they'll thrive, and gEDA will ride to success on their coattails.

sure for isolated developers but it is far harder to work with larger
organizations that want your files in the dominant eda file formats.

Would open office be as big a player if it couldn't handle doc and xls
files?