Re: gEDA-user: Guerilla marketing...

> >> When Jobs and Wozniak were tinkering in that garage, the dominant
> >> computer hardware was System/370. They were wise not to try to
> >> compete with that.
> >
> > jobs and woz used a disruptive technology (the integrated circuit) to
> > compete with the bigger hardware.
>
> And FOSS is disruptive technology, for sure.

FOSS is a disruptive technology when you have a large number of
developers, Each working part time or being payed from their job. This
isn't the case with geda.

> > geda and pcb lag far behind in interoperability with other layout
> > programs and with vendor support for capabilities such as programming
> > their flying probe testers.
>
> I've never used pcb, so I can't comment. But gEDA is a great front
> end to every layout flow I've encountered.

I agree the geda works as a front end tool. But you can't take a geda
schematic and send it to an orcad user and do them any good. Nor can you
take an orcad file and use it. This is a very tall wall which stops
people from being able to work together.

> > Would open office be as big a player if it couldn't handle doc and xls
> > files?
> >

> Different game. The big tools can't even interoperate with each
> other: ever try to exchange a design with EDIF (shudder)?

A different game? I think not. See the tall wall discussion above.