Re: gEDA-user: Guerilla marketing...

On Jan 30, 2009, at 12:23 PM, Steve Meier wrote:

>>> jobs and woz used a disruptive technology (the integrated
>>> circuit) to
>>> compete with the bigger hardware.
>>
>> And FOSS is disruptive technology, for sure.
>

> FOSS is a disruptive technology when you have a large number of
> developers, Each working part time or being payed from their job. This
> isn't the case with geda.

Well, I don't know. gEDA is certainly empowering me in a pretty
radical way. But of course, you always have to use the strength of
the tool, not fight against it.

>>> geda and pcb lag far behind in interoperability with other layout
>>> programs and with vendor support for capabilities such as
>>> programming
>>> their flying probe testers.
>>
>> I've never used pcb, so I can't comment. But gEDA is a great front
>> end to every layout flow I've encountered.
>>

> I agree the geda works as a front end tool.

Better than anything else around, I think. That's a major strength we
should build upon.

> But you can't take a geda
> schematic and send it to an orcad user and do them any good.

Never could take a Viewlogic schematic and send it to an Orcad user
either. So there's nothing new here.

> Nor can you
> take an orcad file and use it. This is a very tall wall which stops
> people from being able to work together.

Even the major commercial tools can't break down each other's walls.

>>> Would open office be as big a player if it couldn't handle doc
>>> and xls
>>> files?
>>>

>> Different game. The big tools can't even interoperate with each
>> other: ever try to exchange a design with EDIF (shudder)?
>>

> A different game? I think not. See the tall wall discussion above.

Would you think it important to get TeX to read Word files?
Versatile, effective toolkit versus bloated, inefficient tool. I hope
gEDA stays versatile and effective.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx