Re: gEDA-user: Guerilla marketing...

al davis wrote:

[ ... nice cover crop story, thanks!"]

> So, for Zuken, the freeware version of Eagle, the freeware
> version of Multisim, the student version of Pspice ....
>
> What is the "organic matter" being added to the soil?
> What are the "beneficial insects?"

For Eagle I really don't see "beneficial insects". The fact that they
did not introduce a hierarchy with V5 somehow makes me think it's more
targeted at hobbyists. You can't do very large projects without a
hierarchy (which gEDA provides).

Seems they might have blown the backward compatibility. That could turn
out to be a huge mistake.

> And finally:
> What are the "weeds" they want to choke out?

Don't know for Zuken but for the others that didn't work. I have a lot
of clients and the picture is very similar to office applications:
Nearly all use OrCad for schematics, layouts are farmed out (I do the
same), and everybody uses LTSpice which is free.

There is one company that does provide their schematic capture for free,
no strings attached, and without any strategic "steamroller" intentions:

http://www.bartels.de/bae/baeprice_en.htm

They simply do not charge for their schematic editor but layout and
autorouter are not free. The owner is active in a German NG and he comes
across as very down to earth and honest. I've test-driven it but it
wasn't for me, my impression is that its more geared towards chip
designers. AFAIR his company wrote their own CAD because they weren't
happy with anything on the market. He probably wrote the bulk of it all
by himself but they main biz is hardware.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/