gEDA-user: pcb-20091103 photo-mode problem

Relative noob problem. I have created a PCB (2 layer, 1"x 0.8") that I
can create Gerbers from and export to a PS file or a plain PNG file. I
was able to use the File->Export layout->PNG photo-mode once and
everything looked great, any time I've tried after that time it only
puts out a 203 byte file that is all black. I've tried flipping it, not
flipping, no bloat, low bloat, high bloat. What am I missing?