gEDA-user: gaf-git: unicode causes fork bomb in gschem/po

Huh, so something as innocuous as a copyright symbol can cause a system
lock-up. Who'd-a thunk that.

The problem in question: the file gschem/src/x_dialog.c contains a
unicode symbol, the copyright symbol (©). When `xgettext' is called
during the `make' procedure, it chokes on that symbol because it expects
ASCII. `make', in turn, chokes on `xgettext' failing. It responds by
spawning another process which calls `xgettext' again. That, of course,
fails too. The result: a continuously forking `make' process and a
system that locks up if the user/administrator isn't present to
control-C it.

Thankfully, the solution is simple: grep the source tree for
XGETTEXT_OPTIONS, and append --from-code=UTF-8 wherever it is defined.
Personally, being a Gentoo user, I've written an ebuild for the git
version which `sed's the --from-code=UTF-8 in where necessary, but that
is, of course, rather hacky. Ergo, I hereby politely request the fix to
be pushed to git HEAD. :)

N.B.: toolchain versions, in case this doesn't happen for other people:
* GNU Make 3.81
* xgettext (GNU gettext-tools) 0.17
* gcc (Gentoo 4.3.4 p1.0, pie-10.1.5) 4.3.4
* autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.64
* automake (GNU automake) 1.10.2

-Peter