Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

On Saturday 16 January 2010 06:03:18 Edward Hennessy wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2010, at 4:18 AM, Florian Teply wrote:
> > Just as it enters my mind: This parts manager is essentially a
> > hierarchical parts database. I could imagine that some guys would want
> > to integrate other stuff like inventory, preferred dealers, pricing,
> > dealer part numbers and such. On the other hand, not everyone might want
> > to carry all that stuff around.
>
> Yes.  These would be well within the capability of the parts manager.
> It would require someone with database knowledge to alter tables and
> change the database views. The changes would happen in the views and
> stored procedures in the database. A limitation exists that it could
> not make multi-database queries.  So if inventory is in Oracle and
> parts are in MySQL, something else will need to be done.
>
> > If i had such a database around, i'd love to be able to search it
> > according to current needs, grouping transistors by their beta and
> > current noise for example. But for that, numerical values will have to
> > be present which in turn have to be entered. This sounds like a task to
> > be distributed to many guys...
>
> The parts manager uses SQL at the core so creating a new view to your
> transistors that contained sorting, grouping, or selecting ranges
> would still work.  The GUI would simply display the results from a
> query to your view.
>
> I was planning on making a small Python app to import data from
> a couple of my favorite manufacturers.  Unfortunately, not all
> manufacturers provide a feature to export part data.
>
> > Is there a possibility to keep the database modular?
>
> Can you elaborate?  Do you mean modules with different types of parts,
> different database features, or different schemas? These requirements
> would be a good addition to the working document.

I was basically thinking along the lines of having stuff optional. Like
vendors, pricing, such stuff not everyone would want. As i see it, with a SQL
database that shouldn't be much of a problem, so nothing to worry about.

> > Anyways, as Kai-Martin already mentioned: what do YOU think is the
> > purpose of this parts manager within gEDA??
>
> It basically allows the engineer to cut and paste components into
> their schematic without the burden of looking up and setting all the
> attributes.  So if an engineer wants a 4.75k 1% 0603, they can choose
> it from a list, cut, then paste.  The parts manager can substitute the
> component attributes needed for purchasing, simulation, and layout.
>
> > In order to have a clean layout, i feel it might be wise to step back
> > again for the broad picture to reappear.
>
> Is there a particular area where you have a concern?

I was referring to my nearly constant state of being lost ;-)
It does clear up though, even if slowly.

> > I'm gonna try and make up a list of properties of components starting
> > with passive devices. I'll go from very generic properties to more
> > exotic ones in a way i guess will be okay with most users and put that
> > list up for discussion.
>
> Excellent.  Thanks.

No prob, was about do do that anyways as i wanted to have such database for my
own use. Left it at work though, hopefully i'll have it in a state for
discussion by monday afternoon.

Greets,
Florian