Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

On Jan 12, 2010, at 4:18 AM, Florian Teply wrote:
> Just as it enters my mind: This parts manager is essentially a
> hierarchical parts database. I could imagine that some guys would want
> to integrate other stuff like inventory, preferred dealers, pricing,
> dealer part numbers and such. On the other hand, not everyone might want
> to carry all that stuff around.

Yes.  These would be well within the capability of the parts manager.
It would require someone with database knowledge to alter tables and
change the database views. The changes would happen in the views and
stored procedures in the database. A limitation exists that it could
not make multi-database queries.  So if inventory is in Oracle and
parts are in MySQL, something else will need to be done.

> If i had such a database around, i'd love to be able to search it
> according to current needs, grouping transistors by their beta and
> current noise for example. But for that, numerical values will have to
> be present which in turn have to be entered. This sounds like a task to
> be distributed to many guys...

The parts manager uses SQL at the core so creating a new view to your
transistors that contained sorting, grouping, or selecting ranges
would still work.  The GUI would simply display the results from a
query to your view.

I was planning on making a small Python app to import data from
a couple of my favorite manufacturers.  Unfortunately, not all
manufacturers provide a feature to export part data.

> Is there a possibility to keep the database modular?

Can you elaborate?  Do you mean modules with different types of parts,
different database features, or different schemas? These requirements
would be a good addition to the working document.

> Anyways, as Kai-Martin already mentioned: what do YOU think is the
> purpose of this parts manager within gEDA??

It basically allows the engineer to cut and paste components into
their schematic without the burden of looking up and setting all the
attributes.  So if an engineer wants a 4.75k 1% 0603, they can choose
it from a list, cut, then paste.  The parts manager can substitute the
component attributes needed for purchasing, simulation, and layout.

> In order to have a clean layout, i feel it might be wise to step back
> again for the broad picture to reappear.

Is there a particular area where you have a concern?

> I'm gonna try and make up a list of properties of components starting
> with passive devices. I'll go from very generic properties to more
> exotic ones in a way i guess will be okay with most users and put that
> list up for discussion.

Excellent.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Ed