Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

On Saturday 09 January 2010 03:43:13 Edward Hennessy wrote:
> All,
>
> I created a working document for a gEDA parts manager on the gEDA wiki.
>
> http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:gparts_dd
>
> If anyone has feedback or specific requirements, please provide feedback to
>  geda-dev or geda-user mailing lists.  I'll continue to update the document
>  as the project progresses.

Nice Overview, Ed.
From my point of view, some things seem to be missing though, which wasn't
unexpected given the preliminary/working state of the document.

a) There seems to be a link between part and document missing. Documents are
completely described, but never referenced.

b) Symbol: according to the picture, it should contain a SymbolName, but
according to the Text it's supposed to contain a Symbol filename. This seems
to be a slight inconsistency, i myself would maybe include both a filename and
a textual name for display which could also be a tad more verbose. Example:
Filename: 7400-1.sym
SymbolName: 7400, Quad NAND
After a closer look, nearly the same goes for footprints: Graphics call for a
unique name, text calls for a path.

c) What i'm missing is models. That could very well be grouped with documents,
entries being something like:
ModelID
Category (Spice, VHDL, VHDL-AMS, Verilog, Verilog-AMS etc.)
Description (Textual, more verbose)
SourceURL
FileLocation (path)

Given my lack of knowledge of Database design, i would appreciate some
graphical representation of the relations between all those entries, as i'm
not quite sure how one entry belongs to another. I tried to draw that up as i
understand it, but got utterly lost in the relationship between part, class,
component and device.

Greets,
Florian