Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

   Florian,

   Thanks for the feedback.

   On Jan 9, 2010, at 3:30 AM, Florian Teply wrote:

   a) There seems to be a link between part and document missing.
   Documents are
   completely described, but never referenced.

   I created an ERD and put it in the working document.

   b) Symbol: according to the picture, it should contain a SymbolName,
   but
   according to the Text it's supposed to contain a Symbol filename. This
   seems
   to be a slight inconsistency, i myself would maybe include both a
   filename and
   a textual name for display which could also be a tad more verbose.
   Example:
   Filename: 7400-1.sym
   SymbolName: 7400, Quad NAND
   After a closer look, nearly the same goes for footprints: Graphics
   call for a
   unique name, text calls for a path.

   Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency.  I had blindly just
   suffixed surrogate
   keys with "ID" and their human readable counterparts with "name."
   I'll fix the
   document.
   Should the description be associated with the part, because a 74AS00,
   74ALS00, 74LS00 could use the same symbol?
   Or, the parts manager could extract the description attribute from the
   symbol file
   during import for a generic description and place it in the field you
   describe.  The
   description in the 7400-1.sym:
   description=4 NAND gates with 2 inputs
   Or, the parts manager could do both, but on component instantiation,
   use the
   description from the part table?

   c) What i'm missing is models. That could very well be grouped with
   documents,
   entries being something like:
   ModelID
   Category (Spice, VHDL, VHDL-AMS, Verilog, Verilog-AMS etc.)
   Description (Textual, more verbose)
   SourceURL
   FileLocation (path)

   I'll add support for simulation models, but I'll need to do a bit more
   research on
   how the database columns map to symbol attributes.
   Cheers,
   Ed