Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

On the chat, you wrote:

On configuration directories, gEDA has the config directory and the data directory. The parts manager needs to locate the system-gafrc and the subdirectories for models, symbols, footprints, etc...

It's not just that it has to locate *gafrc: it has to extract the data from them. These are not straightforward data files. They are in fact Guile programs that depend on functions in libgeda.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a gnetlist back end to extract the data. See:

http://www.seul.org/pipermail/geda-user/2009-December/022135.html

Perhaps gnetlist should be called gEDAscript, as it is the general- purpose scripting wrapper around libgeda. It isn't just for netlists.

Let me also express my preference for something for a simple, trivial mechanism that gets most of this job done rather that an impossible attempt to be all things to all people. The first thing you should do when designing a database is to estimate the labor required to do data entry.

The gEDA community has mustered the resources to publish fewer than 3000 symbols, between the shipped library and gedasymbols.org, in ten years. That's not a complaint: I think this is actually a pretty good accomplishment (and I am extremely grateful). But the problem is huge (and changing, expanding rapidly) while the resources are orders of magnitude smaller. The mismatch is worse with your database, I think.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx