Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

Florian Teply wrote:
Edward Hennessy <ehennes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Florian,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll add support for simulation models, but I'll need to do a bit more research on
how the database columns map to symbol attributes.

Just as it enters my mind: This parts manager is essentially a
hierarchical parts database. I could imagine that some guys would want
to integrate other stuff like inventory, preferred dealers, pricing,
dealer part numbers and such. On the other hand, not everyone might want
to carry all that stuff around.
If i had such a database around, i'd love to be able to search it
according to current needs, grouping transistors by their beta and
current noise for example. But for that, numerical values will have to
be present which in turn have to be entered. This sounds like a task to
be distributed to many guys...
Is there a possibility to keep the database modular?

I've been learning Django, a python language web serving framework,
and from newbie impressions, it might be a good fit for your app
if you want to depend on some standardised work with a large following,
(so it's fast evolving).  Django talks to databases and serves up
templated web interfaces to database driven apps you write in python,
with a lot of help from the Django functions and admin interface.
Sharing the load of work with others is easy with Django, (or any web CMS).

John
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX