Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

On Jan 19, 2010, at 8:50 AM, al davis wrote:

>> On Jan 19, 2010, at 3:41 AM, Florian Teply wrote:
>>> Anything else to add??
>>

> I guarantee you will leave something out, and that you will
> include some useless stuff.

I agree.

> Just make sure the design is such that fields can be added and
> removed in the future without breaking anything.
>
> Same goes for device types, and lots of other stuff.

The database administrator, using SQL, can add fields, remove fields,
add categories, remove categories, join queries with other tables,
etc...  Basically, the DBA has full control.

A user without SQL knowledge does not get the same level of control
as the DBA.  It would be difficult to give this user the same level
of control as the DBA through a GUI.  But, I would like to implement
something for this user.

Picking a couple part types, adding every parameter conceivable, then
putting the data into a normal form helps flush out requirements.

If the add column, remove column, add category and remove category
operations can be completely defined with stored procedures or
metadata, then the user without SQL knowledge is in luck.

Otherwise, this user's database maybe a la carte.  The user may have
a set of checkboxes during database creation to define which
parameters each device type contains.

(The UI contains a feature to hide columns, so useless columns could
always be hidden.)

Cheers,
Ed