Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Capture to dxf File - using gEDA, Inkscape, and pstoedit

On Jan 20, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Ben Jackson wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:56:25PM -0500, dfro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> I just created a thread on cnczone.com, which I want to bring to your
>> attention. I titled it, "Schematic Capture to dxf File - using gEDA,
>> Inkscape, and pstoedit":
>
> I have been thinking about how to do improved isolation routing.  Someone
> mailed the list a picture where the only cuts were the ones necessary to
> cut the board into islands congruent with the copper.  So imagine you have
> just two pads on your board.  The 'outlines' would cut two boxes.  The
> 'isolation' would just be a line bisecting the board between the two pads.

How do you differentiate between pads that must be a certain shape, like for an SMT capacitor, and islands that simply need to be separated?

>  If you want to save something like that directly from
> PCB, though, the polygon code could do all of your Inkscape steps
> internally.

Ahhh.... so... does that mean the polygon code could be easily tweaked to produce the vector outlines of all the pads on the paste layer? That would be 95% of what I need for laser cutting solder stencils.

-dave