Re: gEDA-user: PCB bug: invisibly select pads from deactivated far side

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:34:50 -0500
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stephan Boettcher <boettcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >> Make the far side hidden before selecting.
> >
> > That's the point, I did!  The pads select anyway.
>
> I had that problem with silk.  I've not seen it for pads.
>
> >> Also, see MinMaskGap() to fix solder mask openings :-)
> >
> > Well, I couldn't.  I can only use actions that I know about. :-(
>
> ... and now you know about it

I can confirm this bug in the build of PCB that I'm using (not sure when it was last fetched, but it was last re-compiled on October 5, so probably about then).

Load a board with objects that are on the "Solder" side (a couple of surface-mount components in my case), turn off the "Far Side" layer and all other layers as well, but turn "Pins/Pads" on for reference, then do a rectangle select over an area that includes some of those back-side pads as well as various through-hole pins.  Turn the "Far Side" layer back on and sure enough, those back-side pads got selected, even though that layer was turned off at that moment.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."