Re: gEDA-user: .sch primitive ordering [was: Collaborative Development of Boards]

On Jan 17, 2011, at 9:26 PM, Peter TB Brett wrote:

>>> No. It does matter; the ordering indicates the draw order of primitives
>>> in any viewer or graphics exporter.  Arguably, it shouldn't, but if not,
>>> the file format needs to be amended to provide this information in
>>> another way.
>>
>> But the draw order doesn't matter unless you're using an old-fashioned
>> mechanical plotter. In any case, in gschem, merely cutting something and
>> pasting it back in the same place changes the order, but this is rarely
>> significant.
>
> For someone who is very defensive of features that you see as important, you
> are very quick to propose that those you don't care about are removed, aren't
> you?

Nobody understands all use cases of the toolkit. Certainly not me. I fell into the trap here, yes. Mea culpa.

> Example: Create square with solid background. Create smaller circle with
> hashed background, set to a different colour.  Move circle on top of square.
> Obviously, if z-order is not preserved through save and load, this will be
> rendered incorrectly. See attached schematic.

OK, that's a good point. But there's no easy way to control this in gschem. Is it a "feature", or merely accident? Should there be "pull forward" and "push backward" commands?

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx