Re: gEDA-user: Visual cue of zero length pin endpoint

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> libgeda was recently patched to allow zero length pins. Please point me
> at where the documentation says this is invalid, and I'll file a bug
> about getting that changed.

http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:file_format_spec#pin

"You cannot have a zero length pen (the tools will throw them away)."

The typo in this sentence technically makes it invalid. ;-) Same
requirement exists also for other data types.

> You are correct there, those driving the zero-length pins change should
> consider whether this is a problem or not, and if so - what do do about
> it!

It makes sense to extend the spec to cover zero-length pins (IMHO
other shapes should stay non-zero sized) but it would be better if the
spec explicitly said when and for what purposes pin directionality can
be used. In the current version there is no mention of it but since
pins are guaranteed to have a direction, it's not unreasonable to use
this property for all sorts of things.

Cheers,
Andrzej