Re: gEDA-user: gschem: directly connecting two nets?

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 13:33 -0500, rickman wrote:

> I guess I am missing something significant with this.  Why wouldn't the
> inductor just be a component on the schematic and a component in layout
> just like any other inductor?  The only difference is that the footprint
> defined for the component would be the copper that makes up the
> antenna.  It would have a pad on each end for the signal connection.  Is
> arbitrary copper in a footprint not supported?

Not currently supported. PCB would also need to treat that copper
differently in its own connectivity scanning code, otherwise it would
merrily extract the whole DC-connected netlist (shorting either side of
the inductor).

> As to DRC, I would think design of an antenna would be a pretty complex
> thing to analyze automatically.  A 3D field solver comes to mind.  Is
> any of that capability currently interfaced with these tools?

Perhaps I was going a bit far to suggest full DRC for the actual antenna
design. What I really meant was not loosing information for net
connectivity checking leading up the antenna.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,