Re: gEDA-user: Soldering minute smt

   Great advice for soldering these small SMTs!

   The problem we're having is keeping the chip stationary while tring to
   tack/solder it.  I'm going to come up with a type of fixture that holds
   the board and a spring loaded pin capable of traveling in the X-axis
   and Y-axis over the board and hold the chip to the PCB.

   I don't suppose anyone has made one?  If not, I'll provide plans of
   what I come up with.

   On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak <[1]kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

   DJ Delorie wrote:
   > I think the only trick is to make sure your iron's tip is BIG enough
   > to span three or more pins, so it glides along the top instead of
   > hitting individual pins.

     IMHO, it works better, if the tip features flat surfaces. The solder
     happily flocks to a blob on the flat surface because this minimizes
     the area that interfaces with the air. Convex tip surfaces do not
     attract molten solder this way. Worst case is the cone of a
     pencil-like
     tip.
     ---<)kaimartin(>---
     --