Re: gEDA-user: 74xx symbols

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:18:44PM -0700, Jim Battle wrote:

> Some parts, for example, the 7474 and the 74175, have complementary
> outputs.  The symbol in the library shows one with a bubble and one
> without, but the label near the bubble is "/Q".  Although I understand what
> was meant, it seems like a double negative.  I would label both outputs as
> "Q" and have a bubble on the negated one.  It is clear in these two cases
> what is meant, but being consistent is important if "bubble notation" is
> used more extensively, especially with parts that don't have complementary
> pins like this.

Be careful here. These are different pins. Doing something that
could connect them together (2 pins with the same name) in netlisting
tools is a dangerous idea.

Need a compromise between a clean schematic and conveying information
to subsequent steps, be they pcb or simulation or synthesis or just
eyeballing.

john