Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] solder mask polarity

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:16:56 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> > My PCB shop uses positive solder and componentmask when the printed
> > circuit is double sided, and uses negative when single sided.
>
> Interesting.  If you gave them the wrong polarity, what would they do?

You have two choices: or it makes the board without the masks (when you
have no time to wait, you do it... specially for prototypes) or you
send them photofilms with the correct polarity. I always do it, I do
not work with gerber files, I made my own films. For simple boards, I
use a cheapest process, like laser film, for complex boards, I made
photografic films, and so on...
We have the option to make the mask with the wrong polarity, but the
results can be not so good...

> > Well, I think the better way is to have a option on the print layout.
>
> I was trying to avoid the extra work ;-)

I think thats the better way :D

> What do other layout programs do?
>
> > But if it is more simple, a good way is to the software generate
> > both files, like, one called pcb.output.positive_componentsilk.grp
> > and other pcb.output.negative_componentsilk.grp
>
> I think that would confuse people more than a menu option.

Maybe yes, maybe no, because the pcb output generate a lot of file. You
have no choices, you must know what those files are and what to do with
it. One file more, in my opinion and in my own situation, dont will be
more confusing. Thats my opinion.

Am I right, or the way I suggest is the simpler to implement?