gEDA-user: Fwd: Dumb newby installation problem

I've been trying to install gEDA/gaf under Mandrake Linux 9.0 for some time now. I've downloaded the source files by anonymous CVS, and installed them in /usr/local/src/gEDA, and edited line 13 of the Makefile to

DIR_PREFIX=/usr/local/src/gEDA/geda/devel

After downloading and installing gtk and glib, "make xinstall" seemed to work, once. Following it with "make install" didn't work.

I then down-loaded all the .tar.gz files (geda, geda-gschem, geda-gsymcheck, guile etc) into /usr/local/src/gEDA/geda/devel after which running "make xinstall" seemed to work fine.

Trying to run "make install" as the next stage of the process produced the following sequence.

(cd libgeda: ./configure ---prefix=/root/geda)
.configure: line 534: syntax error near unexpected token 'noweb/s_basic.nw'
.configure: line 534: 'AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(noweb/s_basic.nw)
make: *** [libgeda/config.h]

I went off and found noweb, downloaded it - as .rpm files - with icon2, and installed both. Didn't make any difference.

/usr/local/src/gEDA/geda/devel/libgeda/noweb/s_basic.nw

exists, but trying to run noweb/s_basic.nw in the /usr/local/src/gEDA/geda/devel/libgeda/noweb directory doesn't work, despite the advice you find if you look inside 's_basic.nw' with vi.

I think I've got as far as I'm going to get with my limited grasp of Linux - any advice gratefully received.

--------
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen