gEDA-user: A great tip for DIY PCBs using inkjet printers and transparencies

I was battling to make PCBs using the photo etching technique with an inkjet
printer and transparencies until I ran across this little gem of info.
http://astro.umsystem.edu/atm/ARCHIVES/JAN02/msg00287.html

The common problem when trying to make positive plates with inkjet printers
and transparencies is that the black is never dark enough to block all the UV
(I've been trying for 2 days without success).
Also stacking the positive plates gives fuzzy edges because of the thickness
of the transparencies.

The trick is to use GREEN as the mask and not black because most inkjet photo
cartridges are dye-based and contain Photo Yellow which is a natural UV
filter plus Photo Cyan which contains a UV inhibitor!
Pure green is half yellow and half cyan when printing in photo mode and it
creates a good UV mask even though it is easier to see through than black.
Just make sure you have a decent photo cartridge and use photographic mode
when printing so that the photo colors get used.

The author of the article above used a Canon inkjet printer but today I tried
it out on my HP Deskjet 5550 with a HP 57 tri-color cartridge and I made
perfect 5 mil tracks!

Just want to share this info because I know a lot of people throw the inkjet
and transparency technique out of the window because they don't know this
trick.

Regards
Paul Surgeon