Re: gEDA-user: Trace width/quality

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:40:59 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Assuming you're printing the same postscript file with two different
> print options, it's highly likely that your postscript rasterizer
> isn't using the highest resolution your printer supports.  See if
> whichever printer control panel you're using has a resolution option
> and set it to 600dpi.
>
> If your printer supports postscript *itself* you *really* want to use
> that instead of the hpilj driver.  Tell your machine that your printer
> is a "generic postscript" printer.

Hi DJ.

Sorry for the delay in answering and thanks for your reply. I tried to
study things a bit further. I'm using LPRng and things are not too clear,
I'm afraid. Anyway, analysing logs, I found that the default value sent
to gs was -r300, which does explain the reduced precision and resolution.

All intents to change resolution with lprngtool failed for some reason.
The append_z option was generated in the printcap, but ignored.

I generated a new ppd with foomatic-configure for 600, A4-format, which,
after some tweaking, worked... I'd like to have a form to have this in
the printcap though, so I can have several paper formats/resolutions.

John