Re: gEDA-user: RFC --- Land Pattern (Footprint) Names

You may want to google this list for the discussions on light and
heavy symbols to see
what others do.

I do not like either of the methods you mention. Manually choosing
footprints every time
you place a component is labor intensive and leads to manual errors.
Creating "heavy"
symbols that contain footprint attributes creates a lot of similar
symbols which will be
a revision control nightmare.

I set attributes using rules defined in a database (you could also a
configuration file).
After you complete your schematic set component attributes using a script.
Here are couple of rules (in a perl-like pseudo-code):

if (refdes =~ /^C\d+/ && value =~ /^27[pP]/) {
   footprint = 0603;
   mfg=Kemet;
   mfg_pn=C0603C270J5GACTU;  # NPO  50V
}
if (refdes =~ /^R\d+/ && !defined footprint) {
   footprint = 0805;
}

Annotating using a set a rules allows you maintain consistency across
all of your
schematics.

(* jcl *)