Re: gEDA-user: Connector overhang

DJ Delorie wrote:

I have a board where several connectors need to overhang past the edge
of the board. I'm having a hard time making this happen though because
PCB doesn't like for the silkscreen outlines of these parts to extend
beyond the boundary of the layout. What's the right way to deal with
this situation?

Make the workspace size bigger than the final board. Draw a 10 mil rectangle on any layer named "outline" (change an unused one if needed) that's the size of your final board. Now you can position connectors relative to the outline. PCB will use the "outline" layer to produce the gerber FAB drawings, and knows how to add that to every PS output page if needed.

With most of the PCB manufacturers I have used they take a continuous line around the component side to be the board outline and route the board there. Check with the company you plan to use. I usually just truncate the connectors silkscreen when creating the PCB elements so that the outermost silkscreen is where the edge of the board should be.

--
Darrell Harmon
100x100mm SBC running GNU/Linux: