RE: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

Are you sure it does this?  There is a specific mechanism in X to deal with this problem: atoms.
I can't believe GTK doesn't use them.

Anyway, whether or not their particular system can handle GTK, people should look beyond speed.  It's possible the temporary speed problem will be solved by improvements in hardware with time.  The bigger problem is the design of GTK, if it continues in the vein it is in now then it will be a problem to those using it.  (Though, I imagine GTK+ v9 will have something like 100K function calls and a similar number of outstanding bugs, 15GB of libs and a similar amount of docs, and will slow down my 17GHz Pentium 8).

What those who maintain pcb have to do is decide whether the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

(Which is not really anything to do with me, so I will now shut up).

<<winmail.dat>>