Re: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

On 7/26/05, Robert Thorpe <Robert.Thorpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Are you sure it does this?  There is a specific mechanism in X to deal with this

http://www.gtk.org -- review their programming specifications.  X11
atoms have nothing to do with GTK's operation, except for locating
Gnome-compliant window manager settings.

> Anyway, whether or not their particular system can handle GTK, people should
> look beyond speed.  It's possible the temporary speed problem will be solved
> by improvements in hardware with time.  The bigger problem is the design of

I don't like this argument.  It is wasteful and, let's face it, most
desktop computers today are more powerful than the world's fastest
supercomputers only 10 years ago.  These supercomputers were and still
are often used for rendering, in real-time, 3D displays with full
color and often at resolutions that makes one just go Wow (of course,
this is often at the end of spending months of computing time for the
scientific data that is used to render the images).  Yet, GTK is
abhorrently slow at event handling and user responsiveness.  Why?

--
Samuel A. Falvo II