Re: [OT] Re: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

On 7/26/05, Jakub Piotr Cłapa <jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What? IP-domain? And what about SHM and Unix sockets? The network
> transparency of X Windows is not the source of poor performance...

Actually, considering how verbose X11 protocol is "over the wire," yes
it is.  However, you are correct that X11 itself isn't the problem
here.  GTK is more than an order of magnitude slower than raw X11 (as
aptly demonstrated by comparing PCB and gPCB's performance on the same
hardware) is.

Also, the presence and utilization of SHM are negotiated via the
socket.  I believe, IIRC (and I could be wrong), that ONLY data is
transferred via SHM.  Actual X protocol commands are still sent via
the socket.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II