Re: gEDA-user: SSOP-36 element for PCB?

Dave McGuire wrote:
On Jul 30, 2005, at 5:32 PM, Dan McMahill wrote:

Hey folks...I'm laying out a board (with PCB of course) on which I'm using a 36-pin SSOP package. Does anyone have one handy, or will I have to remember how to create elements again? :)

in the ~geda library there are some. Do you have a JEDEC number for that family? I'd double check the SSOP footprints though. I've fabbed the TSSOP48 and its fine, but none of the regular SSOP ones.

I've just checked the datasheet (Maxim MAX6953) and I don't see a JEDEC number in there anywhere. I am now officially confused. =)

I suppose I could sit down and draw it, but I understand there's a fancy way to use the M4 stuff to generate a whole family at once based on certain parameters...that'd be far better I think. As I recall, that was the method you used about a year ago to generate the SOJ package family for me, wasn't it?

-Dave
That is what I did. M4 has its quirks to get used to, but it is basically pretty simple. You define macros, then those macros get expanded. You could look in geda.inc to see what I had to type in for the SOJ footprints. footprint.ipc.org is sometimes a place to find some footprint sizes. Generally I've put generic stuff like SO, SOJ, etc in
geda.inc and vendor specific stuff like a bourns trim pot in a vendor
library like bourns.inc. I'm a fan of the "lets define a whole family of parts" approach although there is really no reason why you have to do it in M4 vs awk, perl, ruby, or fortran.

-Dan