Re: gEDA-user: is gEDA a good choice for designers?

Peter,

Again please don't try to put words in my mouth. I didn't say "that they
may never appear!"  I have said that the work I am doing requires them
and as such I can't use the standard geda. But in a sense this is what
is wonderfull about open source and geda. The code is available to be
used as a starting point to let you change it to do what you need it to
do. I have now built two very complex boards with modified varients of
geda that can do hierarchical buses and I am approaching distributed
back annotation.

I agree these features are very much on the want list. But I can't wait
another 4 years for the standard geda to catch up with what I can do
today.

If you are designing a complex board and want to do it hierarchicaly
including buses then geda isn't capable, not today. I wouldn't even
suggest others take my modified version and try to do it unless you are
willing to do extra work that isn't neccessary with commercial tools.

Please, don't think I am running down GEDA that is not my intention.
GEDA is a tool and a tool should be used with an understanding of its
capabilities.

Thanks,

Steve Meier