Re: gEDA-user: is gEDA a good choice for designers?

> You will probably also have draw your own symbols as people have been
> complaining about the dreadful state of the shipped library.

I think that's pretty standard in the commercial world.  Allegro ships
with a completely useless set of footprints, and many other programs
don't include anything.  Where I used to work, every part was in a
central company database that was maintained by component engineering.
 Not really a big deal.

A slightly bigger deal is that PCB does not currently allow you to
update a footprint without basically deleting and replacing each
instance.  I am working on a rather extensive patch to fix that, but I
don't know when it will be ready and if it will be merged with the
main codebase.

Otherwise, I think Geda is just about perfect as a small scale design
tool.  A few rough edges, but nothing that can't be worked around.

Igor