Re: gEDA-user: Component selector dialog

On Friday 06 July 2007 21:01:10 Bas Gieltjes wrote:
> Peter,
>
> > Good point.  Revised version ("Hide" icon from Bert):
> >
> > http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~ptbb2/gschem-place1.png
>
> Get rid of the Hide button! Move the Place button to the right the
> Close button (close is the hide function).

No, it is not.

Close: Closes the dialog and stops component placing

Hide: Hides the dialog and enters place mode for the selected component.  When
you right-click or press "Esc" (IIRC) restores the dialog.

Place: Enters place mode for the selected component.

Refresh: Rescans all component sources for new symbols.

I wanted to get rid of the function currently carried out by the "Apply"
button (the "Place" button in my screenshot), but it turns out it's needed
for the case that the user stops component placing but doesn't close the
library window.  In that case, the "Apply"/"Place" function is needed to
resume placing the selected component.

> Is there a possibility to get back to the old two column library view?
> I found it easier to navigate and it gave me a much quicker overview of
> the available components.

Yes, there is a way.  Use an older version of gschem.  (I agree that the
current layout isn't perfect, but there's a problem with gschem on small
screens if you make the dialogs too large).  However, you can resize the new
dialog, and it remembers what size you set it too.  Dragging it out larger
helps to see more symbols.

> Please don't make me push Refresh when working with the file system.

I think it's necessary to support arbitrary library backends.  The GUI code
doesn't (and shouldn't) need to know whether symbols are coming from the
local filesystem, from an NFS filesystem, from a PostgreSQL database or from
a FTP or HTTP server[1].  In fact, I hope to move the filesystem and command
backends into Scheme at some point.

Also, more important question: what is so wrong with pressing a perfectly
obvious and discoverable button?  It does exactly what it says it does, in a
totally predictable fashion.

If you can think of a way of autorefreshing some library types but not others
without special-case code in gschem (or, ideally, libgeda), I'm happy to
review & test your patches.  The way the component library system works is
quite well documented in libgeda/src/s_clib.c, if you need a starting point.

> Using reset-component-library in gafrc is a possibility when using only your
> project symbols.

FYI, in the current unstable version of geda the following code will restore
all of the default symbol libraries:

  (load-from-path "geda-clib.scm")

                 Peter

[1] One large-scale end-user has specifically requested the ability to
distribute standard symbols from a central server with local project-specific
libraries laid on top in a fashion transparent to the designer.

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer
Integral Informatics Ltd