Re: gEDA-user: Component selector dialog

Hi

>> Maybe put "Place" button on the right side of the drop-down menu. GNOME
>> HIG recommends only buttons that have to do with the dialog itself
>> should be at the bottom row.
>
> Do you mean below the preview widget?  I want to put an "Edit" button there...

I think you have enough space there to have "Place" and "Edit" buttons
side-by-side. The drop-down menu doesn't need to be that wide.

You could also place "Edit" button below the "Place" button:

| Drop down              |v| | Place |
                             | Edit  |

>> If you really think "Hide" button is needed, at least change the label
>> and icon. "Place" and "Hide" buttons do essentially the same, but use
>> completely different icons and labels. It's currently not obvious at all
>> what the "Hide" button does.
>
> If you can suggest a better label & icon, I'd very much appreciate it.  I
> honestly don't have a clue what to do with the thing.

"Place" and "Place & hide" would be a better choice of labels IMO. Can't
think of an icon though.

>>> Please don't make me push Refresh when working with the file system.
>> Why not use inotify on systems that support it? You could only add a
>> "Refresh" button when gschem is built on a system that does not support
>> it.
>>

> See the arguments given in my reply to Bas.

I did some research and it does look tricky to implement this cleanly
within a purely GTK application (even without problems with different
library sources you mentioned). Most applications I've seen use inotify
through GNOME VFS, which is probably out of the question for libgeda.

> Also, more important question: what is so wrong with pressing a perfectly
> obvious and discoverable button?  It does exactly what it says it does, in a
> totally predictable fashion.

I just think it's wrong because it's unnecessary. Computers should be
able figure out by themselves when it's time to refresh a list.

Best regards
Tomaz