Re: gEDA-user: Component selector dialog

> This makes sense, but the 'apply' button seems redundant.  As soon
> as you select a component from the list, it should be available for
> placement, with no button required.
>
> > OK - place the selected component, remove dialog (permanently)
> >
> > Apply - place the selected component, leave dialog up.
> >
> > Cancel - revert to previous mode, remove dialog (permanently)

The apply button is for when that doesn't happen - for example,
selecting a component from the list (single click) would preview the
component, but wouldn't necessarily make it available for placing.
Double-clicking from the list would be like selecting then hitting OK.

If we stick with click-to-apply, then we only need OK and Cancel.  But
then, what does Cancel do if just selecting from the list changes
things?  The only button we'd need is "Close", and then it at least
wouldn't LOOK like a standard ok/close dialog.  It would be more like
the PCB library window - it just sits there, offering a palette of
things to choose from, but it's not asking you a *question* so there's
no need to "answer it via ok/close.

So IMHO, choose one:

* the window is a dialog, clicking on the list does nothing,
  Ok/Apply/Cancel do the expected thing.

* the window is a palette, clicking on the list lets you place
  symbols, there's a way to close the window.

Mixing the metaphors causes confusion.