gEDA-user: How does layer grouping really work in PCB?

I just submitted 21 bugs to the PCB tracker based on quick notes I took
while doing a board layout.

One of the most vexing bugs I have not yet submitted because I don't really
understand what happened:

I created my board with gsch2pcb (as opposed to starting with a blank
file in PCB).

I did lots of layout work...

I wanted a layer for the board outline, so I hijacked an existing unused
layer and removed it from its layer group.

After a save and reload, all of my nets were shorted.  It turned out that
the planes had quit clearing the pads on my board (they still cleared the
pins).  However, the ratsnest still knew they were on the same layer and
saw all the shorts.  Nothing I could do to the layer groups in PCB fixed
the problem.  Eventually diffing with my previous version showed that
I had started with this (from gsch2pcb):

	Groups("1,2,3,s:4,5,6,c:s:c")

Notice how 's' and 'c' are duplicated.  PCB itself (via the lesstif HID,
anyway) will never duplicate them, as far as I can tell.  When I had:

	Groups("1,2,3:4,5:s:c:6")

(which is what pcb did after I manipulated the layer stack in the GUI)
It did not work right.  I was also able to move 's' and 'c' into the
groups with 1,2,3 and 4,5, but that ALSO didn't work.  The only thing
that worked was manually editing the file to be more like the gsch2pcb
version:

	Groups("1,2,3,s:4,5,c:6:s:c")

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD