Re: gEDA-user: selecting footprints

Neither PCB nor gschem have a footprint previewer, but what you can do
(and what I do) is to open Window->Library in PCB and just select
footprints and place them on a blank board to see what they look like.
Even just the "crosshair" outline is sometimes enough.  For ~lib
libraries (old style), the name in square brackets is the footprint
name, for new style (no ~) libraries, use the whole name.

Most of the generic footprints I use are in ~geda, like ACY400 for
1/4W resistors.