gEDA-user: schematic hierarchy netlist problem

Been experimenting with hierarchical design with gschem. When I generate
the netlist using gsch2pcb I get a  U?-? on every net that goes to one
of the io objects.

As per the wiki (I think), I've used an in-1.sym in the sub schematics
where they get input from the top level schematic, and an out-1.sym for
outputs to the top level. In each case, I've set the io symbol's refdes
to the same as the pinlabel attribute of the corresponding pin of the
top level symbol. The generated netlist picks up all the things it
should do from the sub pages, eg:
unnamed_net5	S2/R2-1 S2/U1-1 SW1-2 U?-?

I'd much appreciate it if someone could tell me where I'm going wrong.

--
Peter Baxendale <peter.baxendale@xxxxxxxxxxxx>