Re: gEDA-user: design problem question

Jonathan Starr wrote:
> I have a question regarding electronic design; basically, I am working
> on a student project, and I am assigned the task of designing a 12V
> "battery box."
>
> Each "battery box" is going to consist of four 12V packs wired in
> parallel. One complication is that there needs to be a microcontroller
> and circuitry to perform battery monitoring and protection.
There are ASICs for this that need no micro...

> Additionally, another complication is that the packs need to be charged
> in series at 48V.

This series charging seems an odd spec, since any variation in battery condition
will cause uneven charging and low capacity when just one cell is aged and resistive.

Is your project for education or practical lab needs?

Your stated specs saddle you with big disadvantages... are there really higher goals for the project
that could be stated in terms like:   minimize voltage transformer losses while keeping parts count low?

How much power flow is needed out of these batteries?  2000 Amps at 9.5 volts?
Are you talking car batteries or AA cells?

John Griessen

PS This isn't a bad venue to ask for opinions on circuit design.
Google and alldatasheet.com should help you get plenty of IC specs
to read.  (For instance battery monitoring and protection)