Re: gEDA-user: Another: Can I use static pins as vias?

Ben Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 10:56:14PM +0200, lynx.abraxas@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> In  my board I used static pins (just for better hold with a rot-encoder) as a
>> vias. Sadly I didn't figure out how to tell PCB not  to  complain  that  as  a
>> short circuit. Is there a way to prevent PCB of complaining here?
>
> Either don't connect them to the surrounding plane or put them in the
> netlist.
>
> When I made a symbol with "lugs" recently I just used a net= attribute to
> attach the lugs to GND.  I've also seen symbols that just bring the
> additional pins out.

I use the "net=" technique uniformly everywhere. The main reason is that
for things like switches that have "mechanical" pins, I want to use the
generic switch symbol.  Note that for some things, like I/O connector
shells, it is important that the shell be connected to ground for shield
purposes, so I don't like to leave them unconnected.