Re: gEDA-user: How do I complete a line to an existing line/pad ?

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 04:29:03PM -0600, armdeveloper wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 18:05 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > This normally means that (1) auto-DRC is on, and (2) the rats nest is
> > stale.  Try "o" to optimize the rats nest, else disable auto-drc.
> > Also, you may need to start on the pad if you're trying to connect it
> > to a yet-unconnected copper region.
>
> Great advice.  It works now.  Thanks.

The auto DRC lets you connect to "found" objects.  When auto DRC is on
and you start a line, you'll see everything you can connect to light
up green.  You can never connect floating elements (eg a via with no
thermals) to a net because the via is not connected to anything.  I
did recently discover you can get the 'f' find action to hilite your
target and then start your line and connect those two things together.

I will probably also add some heuristics for things like vias, so if
you move directly to a via you'll be allowed to connect (but if you just
try to go 'near' it you'll still be held off).

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>