Re: gEDA-user: Frontpast

Ian Chapman wrote:
> Hi all, do you use a surface mount frontpast layer?  What does fab do with
> it and is it recommended for a hand solder job?  Regards Ian.

I don't send it to the fab.  I've been experimenting with making
disposable laser cut stencils using it.  My current workflow is: create
postscript of the stencil layer with a psbloat of -300 or about that,
run that through pstoedit to create a .dxf file, hand tweak as necessary
in QCad, then laser cut in 16# drafting vellum.  I've tried drafting
mylar, but I haven't found a mylar that laser cuts well for me. For
reflow I'm using a toaster oven.

For hand soldering SMT you can completely ignore it. Get lots of flux
and the smallest solder braid you can find.

-dave