Re: gEDA-user: gnucap - oscillator example

On Tuesday 08 July 2008, Paul Tan wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:07:26 -0400, al davis wrote:
> > I prefer to interact with the simulator directly.  Most
> > people who interact through menus or only the schematic are
> > light users.
>
> Most people, including me, who have worked with the
> "Schematic Driven" technology that are employed by most
> of the advance state-of-the-art EDA tools vendors,
> might think differently.

No argument here ..  Nobody types in big netlists.  But most
advanced users I know can read them and use them effectively.

What I was referring to in "interacting through menus" is the
kick boxes and menus of the type you see in the low end
simulators.  I would like to see how you do a distortion
analysis like I did, without an explicit command to do it,
using only kick boxes and menus.

Spectre, and I assume also the other high end simulators, has a
very significant scripting language.  From what I remember at
Bell Labs, they do write scripts.  That's one of the reasons
TCL was created. ..  as a scripting language for EDA tools.

In our case, the netlister doesn't work well enough to do that.
We have a long way to go.  I think it is the biggest block
keeping people away.

> I think "Schematic Driven" is the way to go.

If you can make the gEDA/PCB/gnucap combination work well enough
that 100% schematic driven gives you all the functionality of a
command line, you have my complete support.  If you can just
make it do beginner tasks well, without holding them back, you
have my complete support.