Re: gEDA-user: Hierarchial refdes vs. board assembler

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 12:49 -0700, Steve Meier wrote:
> I have found they need a little education and then seem fine with it.
>
> There is no shortage of assembly shops and so they tend to be willing to
> work with their customers.

These guys have told me to...

re-number the schematic list to show industry convention as per IPC
standard. This is generally R=resistor C=capacitor D=diode which is
sequentially numbered from left to right across the PCB from the datum.
Once this is done is should be then a simple exercise to re-produce
gerber files and parts list showing ic1,ic2,ic3 ETC and not have x
referred to all over the board.

If you go into the properties of the design and change the designator
removing the the X .

They won't get my business again, as this crap is costing me a great
deal of time - not to mention killing the benefits of an easy to
reference / update schematic for each repeated block.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,